In response to a challenge posed to me by my buddy e, (gee it rhymes) I am going to name ten things that I love and ten other that I hate. Recently, I have also gotten a simple job of serving sandwiches at Subway (a fast food chain if you are unaware). Thus, these things that I love/hate will be from this working experience.
- Name 10 things you love and 10 things you hate.
- Nominate 10 other people to pose this challenge to.
- Notify them of the challenge.
- I hate being the invisible newbie, though it isn’t much better because now I finally get attention but only because I made a mistake. And I make a lot of those.
- Love the beat boxing drink dispenser. It pfffts to pump in the gaseous fizziness whenever a customer uses it and it does produce a sick beatboxing beat when it does. I wish customers could dispense it all day. But of course, their cups are only sixteen ounces 😦
- Love crushing the crab sticks to make the Seafood and Crab mix with my bare hands. It feels like I’m squashing the brains of my enemies.
- Hate my supervisor
- Love free wifi. Who doesn’t?
- I both love and hate the free Subway employee meal. It’s nice because FREE THINGS ARE ALWAYS NICE, but I am getting tired of it.
- Hate customers I meet that give the order, “All sauces please.” (they don’t actually say please. I think I have actually never heard a ‘please’ in my eight days of working so far.) Anyway, I digressed, but… WHO THE F- DOES THAT!? WHO ORDERS ALL THE SAUCES!? There are ten different dressings and sauces in total, and I’m
guessingcertain that them all combined tastes like… like… I have no idea, but it will just be very wet. ALSO, it’s very messy for me and to every ‘all-sauce’ person, I HATE YOU GUYS.
- Hate people calling the lettuce as ‘salad’ or ‘cabbage’ (wrong use of quotation marks there oops.) Lettuce is LETTUCE. It’s even printed right in your face with images displayed telling you that it is called LETTUCE.
- Hate other variations of the above point like referring to Jalapenos as ‘chili’ and pickles as ‘that green thing’.
- Hate that green capsicums have an alternative and acceptable name as ‘Green Bell Peppers’ because if they order pepper, I have to clarify if they mean ‘capsicums’ or do they want me to sprinkle ground pepper for their sandwiches.
- Hate mustard. I’m biased.
- Also hate people who pronounce mustard as ‘Moos-tard’. Like what. Do you even English?
- Hate people new to ordering in Subway because they take like fifteen years to understand the menu. I think Subway should consider having educational commercials once in a while.
- Hate huge orders. Like this story I’m going to tell: a woman walks in and orders four foot longs. I was careful not to insult her by asking having here or take away. Then all the other staff with other duties, e.g. kitchen shift or dining shift (anything but service bar shift), they had to come to the service bar and be my assistants and they all give out the vibe like I just forced more work unto them. Can they be any lazier? Shit. Don’t answer that. Of course they can.
- Story two: this bad-ass hiker came in with full gear and ordered 10 wraps. OMG. It was hell to make all of those. Mainly because the wraps had to be microwaved and not oven-toasted. Ovens can accommodate like eight sandwiches at a time. Microwaves, one. Sigh. It was ten times twenty seconds of the customer just eyeballing me while I attend to his order.
- But some customers are nice too. I love cute looking customers. Come to my subway and I’ll give you extra lettuce 😉 (Note: Offer extends to girls only)
- I love Sarcastic customers. They spice up my day and keep my mind active with work besides the usual multitasking, remembering veggie and sauce orders. Haven’t met one yet though.
- I love this one funny customer who ordered ‘onions extra giler (like crazy)’ and “pickles extra giler” and then was about to ask for “olives extra giler” but he noticed it was spilling over and he was like “tak muat? (Can’t fit?)” and I’m like *Sheepish* “Yeah….”.
- That one customer then proceeded to pay a twenty six Ringgit meal entirely with one Ringgit bills. His girlfriend laughed at him and it was quite a funny interaction. Gotta love anything that spices up my otherwise mundane duty.
- Hate customers who order their choice of meat before their choice of bread. (Oh, back to hate already? I realize I don’t have much I love about my job. Good news, I’m quitting in thirty-or-so more days.)
- ESPECIALLY HATE the effing packaging of the hot baking paper we put the bread on. It’s similar to a tissue box and sometimes when I pull out a piece, the subsequent piece doesn’t follow out and I have to struggle WITH GLOVES, MIND YOU, to get that next piece out.
- Love working whenever it’s not operating hours (like before opening or after closing) because we have this sound system and we’re free to use it and you know we turn it up loud.
- (There’s thirteen hates and nine loves.)
How was that? For me, I learnt that I hate my job more than I love it. Anyway, for the nominations:
I NOMINATE YOU!
Looking forward to all your responses soon!!
PS: I took a while to respond to this challenge because I was accumulating work experience to write for content.